Thursday, March 5, 2015

Spring Forward!

This coming Sunday is “Spring Forward” Sunday, where we set our clocks ahead an hour. As a coffee czar, I always considered this Daylight Savings Sunday as one of the most important dates on my calendar, and probably for good reason – seems it’s the morning when people need coffee the most.

But as technology has progressed, it’s actually added a level of uncertainty to that Sunday morning. Because nowadays, most of the clocks in my house change time automatically (theoretically), and when it’s out of your control that can be a little scary. Because sure, I can wake up and see what time my phone says it is – but did it really change an hour? You can’t really tell from the phone alone.

So I’ve got my backup method – in my place, there are two clocks that have to be changed manually, and Saturday night I set them side by side. Before I go to bed, I change only one of them to the next day’s time. Then, the next morning, I can at a glance note the wrong time, the right time, and quickly determine if my phone has made the time change adjustment. If it has, I can sleep some more. If it hasn’t, I’d better get moving.


Right and wrong, side by side. Jesus also uses this device in some of his parables: to contrast the receptive soil, there is shallow and weedy soil. To contrast the forgiving master, there is a servant who does not forgive his debts. Sometimes when we can see the right contrasted with the wrong, it can make clear the direction we should take. So find a clock (or two) that you can set manually this weekend – we’ll be singing bright and early!  Let’s bow our heads.

Dear Lord, we give you tonight’s rehearsal, and thank you for the opportunity to give you praise. Thank you for the parables and for all the lessons we learn from your scripture. Be with us tonight, Father. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment