Thursday, May 7, 2015

Prayer for Mothers

Well, I procrastinated a little bit in putting together this week’s opening, but one thing I dared not procrastinate on was getting my mom a card for Mother’s Day, and I’m pretty happy with what I got. Because of both of these things, part of today’s opening is brought to you by American Greetings, and goes out to all the mothers in this choir. On the front of the card is a heartfelt opening, “Mom, what can I say? You gave me life, you brought me up into this world, you taught me how to cooperate with others, and over the years you have molded and guided me into becoming the person I am today.”

Then, on the inside of the card it continues: “So really, mom, you only have yourself to blame.” :)

Jokes aside, today is also the National Day of Prayer, so I decided to open us up in prayer that combines the two themes. I went to Google and entered in the two words “Mother Prayer”, and found the best result, written anonymously, which we’ll pray in a moment. I chose this particular prayer because it incorporates both the notion of God acting as mother over the church, as well as the blessing of the earthly mothers we have in this life. So let’s bow our heads.



Loving God, as a mother gives life and nourishment to her children, so you watch over your Church. Bless these women, that they may be strengthened as Christian mothers. Let the example of their faith and love shine forth. Grant that we, their sons and daughters, may honor them always with a spirit of profound respect. Grant this through Christ our Lord.

And God, we lift up tonight’s rehearsal. As we prepare for our concert and our weeks ahead, give us the concentration and diligence to accomplish all that we need to tonight. In your loving name we pray, Amen.



(source: http://www.mothersdaycelebration.com/mothers-day-prayers.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment