Thursday, June 11, 2015

Looking Back and Looking Forward

Well, here we are – the last Thursday night rehearsal of the choir year, and thus my last Presidential opening devotion for the next couple of months.  (At least to start rehearsals – make sure you come to the banquet next week for some bonus footage!)   I feel pretty good about how these openings have gone, and based on your feedback, many of you do, too.  Enough that some of you have suggested that I stay on for another year.

Oh, choir. I’m flattered, but you know, this does kind of remind me of something, and I guess it’s a good way to bookend my openings for this season.  Because if you recall, my very first talk into this microphone was to assure you not to worry.   This choir would be fine even if I wasn’t the one to make the coffee – and you know what?  We were.  Great job, Madonna and company.

And similarly, we’ll be fine past my presidency, too.   I’ve been in this choir for a decade and a half, and we’ve had great presidents.   I’m happy to have filled the role, but part of what makes it work is it’s a cyclical position – every year we get something new.  This choir is great at having singers step up to serve in a variety of ways, and I’m not here to break that wheel – I’ve already been a czar before.  :)


Anyways, my term runs through retreat next fall, so this isn’t truly any farewell.  Just a “see ya later!” and “glad you guys have enjoyed it.”   Let’s bow our heads, as I give the prayer I offered my first night “in office”.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you that we have so many willing hands that give time to facilitate this choir, and so many willing voices to fill it.   Thank you for the opportunity to come together, sing your praise, and share your message in so many rich ways.   We give tonight’s rehearsal to you – in your name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment