This coming Sunday is Youth Sunday, and one thing that I can attest to personally about Trinity is it’s a fantastic church to grow up in. For those who don’t know, I’m a child of this church – I’ve been coming here since early grade school, and I participated in both the youth programs and kids choirs growing up. In fact, I’m from back in the day when they were paired together – remember Jelly Bean Jar? Gum Ball Machine? Peanut Butter Radio?
I guess my biggest claim to fame in those early years was playing the part of Jonah in the kids’ production of “Oh Jonah”, but let’s not forget some important supporting roles later in my life, too – the fireman in Everyman, farmer #6 in Cottonpatch Gospel, the approving raccoon in Narnia: “This Peter, he’ll do.”
Last Sunday Pastor Doug talked about planting seeds, and that seems a fitting theme heading into Youth Sunday. Lots of seeds were planted as I grew up in this church, especially from the music programs, and those who helped plant and nurture those seeds are the reason I’m standing in front of this microphone tonight.
Proverbs 22, verse 6 says, “Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old, they will not turn from it.” So thank you, Trinity, for starting me in the way I should go. Thanks to Hanan, Jane, and all those who supported the children’s programs, both back when I was a kid, and today.
And as the young people lead the service this Sunday, enjoy it, and take a look around. Hey, who knows? Maybe one of them becomes Chancel President someday too, and he or she can tell us again what a blessing it has been to grow up in this church.
Let’s bow our heads. Dear Father, thank You for Trinity’s youth and music programs – they have impacted many lives like mine over the years, and continue to do so today. We pray for this Sunday’s service, and also for the bell choirs as they play at Enderle Center tonight. We give You tonight’s rehearsal, Lord. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment