Isn’t coffee going great? Fancy new signs, and a new decaf maker – wow, this old czar is impressed. I’ll tell you what’s most fun for me, though – I’m finding that nearly my favorite moment of every week is when we get out second service, and I get to the choir room and see a counter full of coffee supplies to clean and put away, and I get to walk right past it, smiling all the way to my car. Not that it was an awful task or anything, but it’s nice to be acutely aware of the jobs or functions in the choir that are being taken care of for us.
This really struck me a few years ago when I served as a deacon in this church. If you’re not aware, the deacons meet monthly right here in this room, and as I was known as a choir member who rehearsed here, I got plenty of questions as to how equipment in this room worked. “How do we work the air conditioner?” “How do we turn on these wireless microphones?” “How do we turn down that set of lights?” And pretty much every time, I had the same answer: “I have no idea. Somebody does that for us.”
We are so blessed in this choir in so many “Somebody does that for us” ways, some of which are more noticeable than others. I got thanked a lot as coffee czar and as President, as that’s fairly visible, but probably for every such blessing you do notice there are maybe two or three that you don’t see or think about – unseen hands that keeps this choir running in a pretty smooth manner. How shall we thank them?
1st Peter chapter 4, verses 10-11 tells us about serving: “Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever.”
So for the blessings you do not see, indeed be thankful, and channel that appreciation into your singing – that honors God and the spirit of the work that they do. And just think! Next year, I’ll get to be a little extra appreciative when our next president opens and closes our rehearsals. (Don’t laugh – it might be you.) :) Let’s bow our heads.
Dear Father, thank you for all the hands that help this choir, that enable us to say, “I don’t know. Somebody does that for us.” May we remain thankful for these blessings, and may we show that appreciation through our ministry, as we learn our music tonight, and sing it in weeks to come. We offer it all to you, Lord. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment