Thursday, February 19, 2015

"Refuge", by Sara Teasdale

Twice this choir season we’ve sung the words of poet Sara Teasdale – our whole choir sang the piece “Grace Before Sleep” and last night at Ash Wednesday’s service our ensemble sang “I’m Lost In You”. So tonight I thought I’d open with another poem by Teasdale about the blessing of song, entitled “Refuge”:

From my spirit’s gray defeat,
From my pulse’s flagging beat,
From my hopes that turned to sand
Sifting through my close-clenched hand,
From my own fault’s slavery,
If I can sing, I still am free.

For with my singing I can make
A refuge for my spirit’s sake,
A house of shining words, to be
My fragile immortality.

 Indeed, singing can offer our spirits a much-needed refuge from the many discontents of modern life, a chance to be free from flaws that are really in our own nature. While we are inherently flawed, our music allows us to build an idyllic refuge where we can escape that aspect of our lives. I really like the oxymoron that Teasdale ends with: “My fragile immortality.”  I think she is both pointing out the transcendent power of singing, yet still noting that we singers will again return to our imperfect lives. But we do so with a revitalized spirit, refreshed in the sweet refuge of song.

Psalms 30, verse 12 reads, “That my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever.” Yes, if we can sing, we still are free; thanks be to God for that. Let’s bow our heads.

Dear Father, thank you for the gift of song, the gift of poetry, and the refuge that both can provide. We thank you for last night’s service, and for this season of Lent. As we sing, may we be free – free to focus more intently on you, Lord. Be with us tonight as we rehearse. Amen.


(Source: http://hellopoetry.com/poem/5068/refuge/)

No comments:

Post a Comment